Thursday, March 09, 2006

Thank you, Kirby Puckett

Three years before Kirby Puckett retired from baseball, my son, daughter-in-law, and grandson moved to a different community. My grandson endured the agonies of entering eighth grade in a new school.

Shortly after the move, another man from the office was talking sports with my son, who acknowledged being a fan of the Minnesota Vikings.


The man revealed that Randal McDaniel, then a Viking, is his relative. Talk continued, and the man asked how my grandson was coping with the move.

“All right. But he misses good friends and is finding it hard to get acquainted as a new kid in eighth grade.”

“Is he also a Vikings fan?”

“Yes, but he likes baseball better right now. He loves the Twins and idolizes Kirby Puckett.”

Perhaps two weeks later, the man walked into my son’s office and placed a brown paper bag on his desk. “Take this home to your boy.” Inside was a baseball, signed to my grandson, from Kirby Puckett.

The fellow had told Randal McDaniel about the eighth grade kid who had moved to a new school. McDaniel and Kirby were good friends. So, the story was repeated, and Kirby passed a ball along to a young boy coping with new surroundings.

No media. No public relations announcement. Just a gesture to an unknown fan he thought needed a lift. My son and daughter-in-law suggested that a “thank you” letter might be in order. My grandson happily wrote it.

The man in the next office later related that Kirby said it was the first “thank you” letter he had received.

I wish he could know that this is another.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always thought Kirby was a gentleman and considerate. Thanks for the story.

3/10/2006 9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always thought Kirby was a gentleman and considerate. Thanks for the story.

3/10/2006 9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice post.

3/15/2006 12:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds as if your son and daughter-in-law are doing a good job in the child rearing department. Cudos to them as well as to Kirby.

3/15/2006 4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! here

3/17/2007 3:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home