Monday, June 12, 2006

a mental condition in which fantasy dominates over reality…

I find unproven theories interesting. The wilder they may seem, the more fascinating. Conspiracy theories, not so much. But scientific, pseudo-scientific, or science fiction theories are fun. So are the musings of daydreamers who inhabit study halls and math classes.

Count me in that last group. I have not sat in math class recently, but the patio is a great place for daydreaming about what causes various problems for mankind. Take autism, for example.

The computer dictionary defines it: “Autism |ˈôˌtizəm| noun – Psychiatry: a mental condition, present from early childhood, characterized by great difficulty in communicating and forming relationships with other people and in using language and abstract concepts. • a mental condition in which fantasy dominates over reality, as a symptom of schizophrenia and other disorders.”

I know little more about it. I am not a psychiatrist, but I play one around the house. And reports say that autism is on the increase among young people in our society. Why? No one knows. There must be theories other than my own. So if you have one, contribute it, please.

Mine? All right.

It is a long story. An example to start: In the late forties a group called “The Ink Spots” had numerous musical hits. I recently heard one that was a favorite of both kids and adults back then. “You were only fooling, but I was falling in love.” Thirteen syllables in that line, sung to thirteen notes. Slowly. I timed it. Nineteen seconds from the “you” to the end of “love.” That pace was typical for many songs sung for the pleasure of the silent generation. Almost none of whom were/are autistic.

Stay with me. Some of you remember when Rowan and Martin’s “Laugh-In” premiered on television in the early seventies. I think it was then, maybe late sixties. People sat around coffee shops and gathered at water coolers the day after each broadcast to laugh at the craziness and marvel at what the program was getting away with on the air.

People also remarked, before they got used to the pace, that “Laugh-In” moved so fast one could hardly keep up with the patter and rapid-fire jokes. But we did reprogram our minds to get used to it.

The so-called “advancements” of technology in music, graphics, filming and editing since then, and the pace of words and images now bombarding each individual conscious make “Laugh-In” seem slow and dated. Re-runs today have us wonder why we once thought it fast paced. Much of television and movie stuff is far faster than “Laugh-In” ever was.

Think about it when you watch the next commercial. For any product. Time each scene. If the camera stays on one person, one scene, one speaker or activity for longer than four seconds, it will be the exception. Try counting “one thousand one, one thousand two,” etc. Start over whenever the camera shifts. You will seldom get to “one thousand four.” Words rattle out accompanying the rapid-fire scenes so fast that if you blink, you miss a bit of action.

Watch a musical number, other than Lawrence Welk reruns. The performer(s) belt out indistinguishable words, partially drowned out by loud instruments, made even less comprehensible by the lack of enunciation. And the camera shots? Not more than four seconds on any one. Start with a close-up of the lead singer. After four seconds, switch to the back ups, giving two seconds to each, go immediately to the drummer for a second, and then his hands and drumsticks for another, then to the guitarist’s hands on the instrument for about two seconds, up to his face for a second, over to the lead singer for three seconds, to the back ups for two, a long shot of the group on the stage for a second before a fast zoom in on the lead for a second, and back to the drummer, the guitarist, the back-ups, the feet of the singer, her legs, her torso, her face, all in two seconds, back to a long shot, as the mind is trying to keep up with processing all that is being flashed momentarily before eyes while decoding the noises pounding the ears at the same time.

Watch a dramatic show. I used to close my eyes at the beginning of “NYPD Blue.” The rat-a-tat-a-tat-tat-tat kettle drum roll accompanying hand held camera shots waving around among people’s faces, people walking, a car, a building, a pedestrian, a crime scene with tape, a body on the ground, a close up of Sipowicz, a building doorway, a street scene, a window in a brick building, and then a pull back shot of the building, seen as the police station. In about six seconds. It made me a bit dizzy and momentarily slightly nauseated.

Most dramatic shows are the same way. Of course they nearly all have background music drowning out the mumbled dialogue. Take a close look.

Movies? I almost never go any more because of the noise overriding the dialogue and the rapid scenes exploding across the screen, seemingly put there simply because moviemakers can. A teen friend loaned me a DVD of his all-time favorite show, “The Matrix.” I watched it, with numerous pauses to allow my eyes, ears, and mind to catch their breaths.

Still with me? Imagine a newborn. The child has seen nor heard nothing that makes sense to a mind without experience. It needs to learn to see and hear and make meaning from what it hears and sees. In other words, the child needs to focus on what it sees that accompanies what it hears and let the mind learn to process it all as meaningful reality. Slowly at first.

Place that kid in front of manic media with ever more rapid-fire delivery during the last twenty years or so. Then wonder why so many more kids are failing to have their brains connect reality with meaning and language. Read the definition again: “Autism; a mental condition, present from early childhood, characterized by great difficulty in communicating and forming relationships with other people and in using language and abstract concepts.”

I wonder if there is an explanation for an increase in autism blasting us in the face every time we turn on television.

How many have read this far? Did attention deficit disorder (ADD) cause some to quit reading after the first paragraph or so? Those who quit may have barely escaped being autistic, then. That’s another theory of mine.

Crazy theories? Perhaps. So, you explain the rise of both autism and ADD in American society. Air pollutants? Growth hormone residue in meat products? Fluoride in the water?

Please!

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have made me think. My first reaction is to doubt your theory, but as I wonder more about it and consider the role of conditioning in human development, I am ready to rethink. Good luck in getting some sort of support for your ideas, or of others. Autism is serious and getting more so.

6/12/2006 10:39 PM  
Anonymous Gen said...

I think yo may have something but who am I to say? I went to the movie "Over the Hedge" with Katie and her Girl Scouts. I had to wear ear plugs to tollerate the noise and closed my eyes part of the time because of the fast pace. I am always having to tell both Katie and Mike to slow down and speak more distinctly. Maybe the computer games and video games are also helping to cause the problem.

6/15/2006 10:04 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

The problem undoubtedly needs more study than our observational research. But conditioning does play so large a part in human growth and development that there may well be some permanent effect, especially on the young, from the frenetic media. And some are affected more than others, no doubt.

Thanks for your comments and visit to the blog.

6/15/2006 11:03 PM  
Anonymous flickerbird said...

You describe a scenario that must have some harmful effects on people, especially young, developing minds. I wonder if any scientific looks into autism have considered this.

6/16/2006 8:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are right on at least one point: Something is causing an increase in autism in this country. I'll keep your theory in mind until a better one comes long.

6/22/2006 12:05 AM  
Blogger Kelstar said...

Is it definite that the rates are rising, or are we just noticing it more now? I had a debate cough*arguement*cough with a workmate who said crime was on the rise. So, being the smarty pants that I am I dug out all these stats that prove it's actually been steadily declining since the early seventies. It's just that the media covered crime in a way that made it SEEM like it was rising.

6/24/2006 11:40 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

It is true that media hype and spin can make statistics lie as well as politicians can. Before WWII the population of USA was under 100 million. Today it is approaching three hundred million. So the numbers of crimes could almost triple since 1940 or so while the "crime rate" would be pretty much the same.

I have seen studies reporting that crime numbers have increased, but the rate went down before starting to climb slowly in the most recent two or three years.

One of the most startling studies suggests that the crime rate began droping significantly about eighteen years after Roe v.Wade. That decision allowed women who did not want to be responsible for raising children to have legal abortions instead of having unwanted, unloved, untrained, undisciplined kids who became delinquents and then criminals in measurable numbers. Mention that at a dinner party for guaranteed arguments.

With autism, I think the reports focus on increase in numbers rather than rate, though I have seen reports of both.

Perhaps in the forties and fifties diagnosis was imperfect. That kid sitting next to you, staring into space in study hall, and the dreamer in Latin class who never knew where to read when called upon may have been autistic. Who knew?

We do need more research. Thanks for your comments, kelstar.

6/25/2006 12:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you that the bombardment of different images every four seconds has a deleterious effect on human minds. Accompany that with a barrage of cacophonous sounds passed off as music, and it is a wonder the nation isn't nuts. Wait a minute. It is!

6/30/2006 4:27 PM  
Blogger Eugene Weixel said...

I think you may really be on to something. Also is it not possible that some kids start to understand and decide to opt out of what they see?

6/30/2006 4:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i tihnk yuo may be on teh rihgt tarck...

wait a sceond... i maen yuo are on to smohting heer. i maen, it deos gte hrdaer and hardre to concnertrate wiht all the bcakgruond nioses and fashling imaegs.

7/02/2006 10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site...
xango lipitor 2 The times ballard lipitor Skin acne problems what+is+lipitor Lipitor tabs recall

7/26/2006 4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... Small oriental area rugs 1967 chevrolet pick-up Lemon land rover Freezer curtain Att telephone answering machine Free st patricks day bingo to print porter chevrolet delaware 2003 chevrolet suburban rear bumper Sopphora cosmetics addresses in manhattan Vente domaine doubs Forex forex online platform trading11 Akron avis rent a car http://www.purchase-xanax.info/Paxil-story-success.html Chevrolet engines v6 4.3 used

3/04/2007 1:16 PM  
Anonymous Mark said...

I am Autistic, with Aspergers Syndrome. I am in my forties. I find the second half of your definition "• a mental condition in which fantasy dominates over reality, as a symptom of schizophrenia and other disorders.” offensive. It's not that I find your personal comments offensive, I actually found your page because I ran a Google search on that particular phrase! I found it in Apple's operating system and that I find truly offensive - it would appear that someone has made a rather nasty mistake with that definition and that the Mac is clearly not PC at all :-(

6/16/2007 2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful blog you have here but I was curious if you knew of any discussion boards that cover the same topics discussed in this article?
I'd really love to be a part of group where I can get responses from other knowledgeable people that share the same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks!

Stop by my web page ... book of ra apk free

5/21/2013 4:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great items from you, man. I have bear in
mind your stuff previous to and you're just extremely wonderful. I actually like what you have obtained right here, certainly like what you're saying and the best way by which you are saying it.

You are making it enjoyable and you continue to care for to stay it wise.
I cant wait to read far more from you. This is really a terrific site.


My web page ... novoline online spielen

5/28/2013 8:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there! I could have sworn I've been to this website before but after reading through some of the post I realized it's new to me.
Nonetheless, I'm definitely glad I found it and I'll be book-marking and checking back often!



my site book of ra online spielen mybet

6/10/2013 3:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

electronic cigarettes, best e cigarette, smokeless cigarettes, e cig reviews, e cigarette, buy electronic cigarette

11/30/2014 2:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home